Endomondo Sports Tracker – GPS Track Running Cycling Walking & More (free) is a handy pocket personal trainer that tracks various outdoor exercises, from running to skiing. Using the phone’s GPS it monitors distance, speed and duration to calculate calories burnt and offer an exact record of your workouts. It also allows users to challenge friends and give pep talks as they train.
Endomondo has a very clean and modern interface. Distance and time are displayed in the largest numbers, while speed and average speed are listed underneath in slightly smaller numbers.
You can customize what is shown in which area of the screen (duration, distance, speed, and average speed are the only options), although it’s not readily apparent how you change these settings. For new users, here’s a tip: you have to tap and hold over the item you want to change.
It has audio feedback for every mile or km while exercising. It some unique and interesting features:
- Study routes nearby and use the map to navigate your way around
- View history of workouts and study routes and split times per km or mile
- Race against a friend’s time and have the audio coach help you do better
- Compete on a specific route nearby and race against the route champion
- Set the app to pause automatically when you are not moving
- Use Facebook and/or phone book to hook up with friends on Endomondo